Job Title: Mortgage Loan Processor
Reports to: Director of Lending
Job Location: Corporate Office
The Mortgage Loan Processor is responsible for processing all loan files originated by NHSNYC loan officers. The types of loans range from first mortgages to rehabilitation loans to loans and grants for down payment assistance. The work includes legal compliance, quality assurance and quality control of all loans processed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processes and completes loan files for underwriting assuring the accuracy and completeness of all files. Works with loan officers and underwriters to expedite the path to closings.
- Prepares and coordinates all supporting documentation for each loan, i.e., complete application, debt-to-income calculation, credit report, proof of income, title, and all other items necessary for closing. Reviews and evaluates client documents and clears all approval conditions.
- Coordinates all activity related to loan processing, which includes obtaining verifications, appraisals, title searches, work scopes, and counselling certificates.
- Communicates with borrowers, loan officers and lenders regarding required information and status of loan file.
- Process and tracks loans from the beginning through the closing with the Encompass loan Origination Software and Excel spreadsheets.
- Ensures legal compliance of all loans, including TILA and RESPA requirements, and assures quality of loan submissions to investors in accordance with guidelines.
- Such other tasks and responsibilities as may be assigned by management.
- College degree or comparable Accounting or Business Certificate preferred. Three to five (3-5) years’ experience processing residential loans.
- Detail-orientated and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software and Mortgage Loan Origination software (Encompass).
- Familiarity with home loans and residential mortgages such as FHA, VA, or USDA, conventional loan guidelines and loan products. Must be familiar with AMI requirements, grant programs, or state/gov’t programs that correspond to low-to-moderate income standards.
- Must be able to perform basic mathematical calculations and the ability to solve problems and resolve issues independently.
- Possess an understanding of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac guidelines and be able to understand different product guidelines, including rehabilitation loans and grants.
- Experience working with low-to-moderate income populations, and/or community outreach.
- Background in housing, property management, and tenant/community organizing preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Characteristics:
- Communication: strong interpersonal and communication skills, actively listens to needs of callers and presents ideas and thoughts clearly and concisely.
- Critical Thinking: Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Positive Attitude: Finds the most effective and efficient way to complete tasks, regardless of obstacle, while continually offering support to peers through quality teamwork.
- Flexibility/Adaptability: able to accept change and engage it.
- Active/Continuous Learner: recognizes own strengths and weaknesses and actively seeks skills, techniques, and methods to develop and enrich.
- Multitask: excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong computer skills with experience in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
Neighborhood housing Services of New York Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to work in and serve an ethnically diverse population.