Job Title: HUD Certified Housing Counselor
Reports to: Director of Homeownership
Job Location: Corporate Office – 307 w 36 street, New York, NY
Compensation: $50,000 – $65,000
Position Summary: The Homeownership Specialist is responsible for providing comprehensive individual counseling in the areas of pre-purchase/foreclosure prevention and financial management. Following HUD guidelines, providing education, information, and guidance for clients to make an informed selection of the options available to them. Interacts with Lenders /servicers, advocates for clients to obtain the best mortgage products available for homebuyers, and preserve homeownership for existing homeowners at risk of foreclosure.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Utilize organizational virtual face-to-face counseling tools to assess client mortgage readiness, develop an action plan and a household budget, reviewing credit, debt reduction, and credit rebuilding.
Assess a client’s housing and financial needs and provide relevant resources, guidance, and tools to assist in the client’s preparation for homeownership.
Proactively manage workload, calendar, and client appointments to help meet the goals of the organization and serve the client effectively.
Develop sufficient rapport with clients to have meaningful conversations with them about their finances and housing needs.
Adhere to all guidelines related to the confidentiality of client records and information and Homebuyer Education, Financial Coaching, and Foreclosure Prevention.
Accurately and timely enter data into the organization’s client management system (CounselorMax).
Maintain contact with clients and follow up until an outcome is reached.
Contribute to the process of preparing regular reports as needed.
Ensure that quality-control measures are followed and that customer satisfaction is a priority of the counseling program.
Assists the team with special projects as assigned and other tasks deemed necessary to achieve overall goals and operate a successful program.
Participate and conduct homeownership program outreach events virtually or face-to-face to meet program goals.
Negotiate with lenders and other creditors on behalf of clients and monitor milestones.
Develop and manage opportunities for public presentations to enhance public awareness of NHSNYC programs, services, and organizational initiatives.
Coordinate and secure partnerships with realtors, lenders, appraisers, legal services, county, and city representatives, etc., to ensure successful client and program implementation.
Assist in marketing and advertising NHSNYC homeownership services programs.
- High School Diploma. Bachelor’s degree (Preferred)
- HUD Housing Counselor Certification (Required)
- Two (2) years of experience in mortgage lending/processing, foreclosure real estate sales, and /or credit counseling.
- Experience working with low-to-moderate-income populations and/or community outreach.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish speaking.
- Background in housing, property management, and tenant/community organizing preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics:
- Communication: strong interpersonal and communication skills, actively listens to the needs of callers, and presents ideas and thoughts clearly and concisely.
- Critical Thinking: Uses logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Positive Attitude: Finds the most effective and efficient way to complete tasks, regardless of the obstacle, while continually offering support to peers through quality teamwork.
- Flexibility/Adaptability: able to accept change and engage it.
- Active/Continuous Learner: recognizes own strengths and weaknesses and actively seeks skills, techniques, and methods to develop and enrich.
- Multitask: excellent time management and organizational skills
- Strong computer skills with experience in Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish a plus!
Neighborhood housing Services of New York Inc. is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to work in and serve an ethnically diverse population.